Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Overland Park Voted In Top 10 Places To Live

I know that a lot of people out there think that Kansas is the strangest place a person could live. However, most of the people I know in Kansas like living here. That's why it was nice to see that Overland Park showed up in CNN's Money as one of the top 10 places to live in 2006. This is what they had to say:


Office buildings in downtown Overland Park.


6. Overland Park, Kansas

Population: 164,800
Typical single-family home: $250,000
Est. property taxes: $3,500
Pros: Abundant high-paying jobs and affordable housing
Cons: Feels like it was designed by the folks who invented cubicles

Envisioned as a "parklike" bedroom community on the outskirts of Kansas City more than 100 years ago, Overland Park has gone to the second-biggest city in Kansas, with more than 160,000 people spread over 57 square miles. A third of Fortune 500 companies have offices in the area, including Sprint-Nextel, which employs 14,500 locally. Competitive salaries (the average income is nearly six figures) can buy you a whole lot of house: Existing homes sell for half (or less) of the cost on the coasts.

You can read more about the report here: Best Places to Live.

It also should be mentioned that: Nearby Olathe, Kansas came in at #13; Coming in at #11 was Jenny's former home of Plano, TX; Jim's old home of Cary, NC came in at #5; And the number one "Best Big City" was JoLee's home town of Colorado Springs, CO.


Air Force Academy Chapel in Colorado Springs.

7 comments:

JoLee said...

Nate, can we have an image of Colorado Springs on here too? How about a picture of the Air Force Academy Chapel.

Aaron said...

Wow, Nate, that's cool. Brooke and I can't wait to come out and visit you.

Anonymous said...

Nate, I'm a little confused. When I went to the link it said Fort Collins, CO was the number one place. Sadly, the two places are rather different. But don't worry, we love you anyway.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Yes, admittedly, Fort Collins and Colorado Springs are not the same thing. CS was named the best "big city". You can see that information here:Big Cities

Unknown said...

As JoLee pointed out to me this morning, I must know the difference between Fort Collins and Colorado Springs, because our atomic clock is pointed directly at Fort Collins.

Dorothy said...

Ok, ok, I guess El Dorado Hills was not on the list. But there ARE people here that love and miss you. No presssure from me for awhile!! :)