Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tornado Day

On Sunday there were storms all over the Midwest. Lawrence saw its share of the action. Nathan and I, in Kansas City, thankfully, did not. The storm caused 6 million dollars worth of damage on the KU campus, largely to roofs and windows. Many trees also were uprooted or split. About 60 percent of the buildings were damaged in the 70 mph winds. Similar damage occurred to buildings and homes in Lawrence, luckily no injuries or deaths were reported. The Chancellor of the University has expressed gratitude that the storm struck so early on Sunday morning when relatively few people were on campus.

Here are some images from the campus:
(note: don't be too distressed, I chose the most dramatic shots.)


Lots of ruined tiled roofs.


Twisted and mutilated bleachers.


A disaster at one of the entrances to the music building.


The Chancellor surveyed the damage in a helicopter.

Class was cancelled on Monday while crews surveyed the storm damage, checked that it was safe for the students to return, and cleaned up the debris. So Monday, was a tornado day, rather than a snow day. Pretty wild.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Wow, JoLee, that's amazing! Was it any extra windy at your home in Overland Park?

Unknown said...

Yeah, the area was really windy, but we were either in church or in bed for most of it.

Dorothy said...

wow is right. I,too,am grateful it hit on a Sunday and that you were miles away from campus. I wouldn't want anyone hurt-especially my girl!!!