Wednesday, November 12, 2008

1-70

Driving to Colorado Springs from Kansas City can be a real drag. The drive is long and straight. It's a challenge to even find somewhere good to eat because the biggest town between Topeka and Colorado Springs is Hays (think small). However, Nate and I have found some spots that are worth sharing.

We were enchanted by these windmills and hay bales. The second picture is really a clash between the old Midwest and the new Midwest.


We stopped in Russell, the home of Bob Dole so that Nate could get another photo with this awesome oil drill. The first picture was taken back in January of 2002 when Nate drove cross-country with his mom from Washington D.C. to Provo. You can see that in 2008 the drill is still going strong.



And let's not forget the lovely city of Colby, the self-proclaimed Oasis of the Plains complete with fiberglass palm trees. How very odd.

Anyone up for a road trip?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! Even though there might not be anything it does tell a very good story! Sure makes me very happy to live in such a wonderful country!

Susan said...

We've done the I-70 drive to Colorado a few times - thanks for the memories! The photos are great. I sent you an email at your gmail acct - be sure to let us know your holiday plans!

Katie said...

Wow! Those first bunch of photos are beautiful! Who knew that the road from Topeka to CS could be so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

S&J Jones Family said...

Nice pictures, JoLee. I like the hay/windmill ones. Nate's hair cracks me up in the older oil drill picture :)

Michelle said...

Love the pictures! We've driven that strech several times, and will be doing it again next week!

Renee said...

Hey Nate! Esther passed on your blog address! It's so fun to see you and JoLee and get caught up on your life. It looks like things are going well for you. I've made that drive down I-70 a ton of times and it's dreadful! But, hopefully next time you make it you guys can make a stop in Denver! I'm going to be moving there in the next few months!

Brooke Wentzel Stephens said...

Hey guys! I keep hoping for more posts. I'm starving out here in CA for some good old Kansas news. Congrats, though on your great performance on American Idol. 25 representatives, that's fabulous. We're looking forward to seeing y'all in the future!!!!!!!