Around this little cabin are placed a half dozen bird feeders.

Once you get into the cabin you can see the birds through the large windows and talk all you want without scaring them away. The cabin also has a big chart of some of the area's birds, which would have been really helpful if we hadn't brought our birding book.

Here are some pictures of the birds that we saw while we were in the cabin.
Downy Woodpeckers:
Black-capped Chickadees:
White-breasted Nuthatches:
Northern Cardinals:
It was a really good birding day for us because we had never seen any of these species of birds before except the Cardinals.
But our fun at the arboretum wasn't over yet. Nate got really interested in these yellow, softball-size seed pods produced every fall by a native tree. Here they are on the limb and on the ground.


And, as we left the Arboretum, we encountered 5 or 6 white-tail deer. They didn't seem to mind that we were so near. They just checked us out and then got back to browsing.
5 comments:
I think I'd like to visit Kansas again...
(I wonder what Zephyr would think of this new hobby you've taken up?)
Did you take all those pictures of the birds? If you did, I am REALLY impressed.
No, I did not take those pictures. I just found good images on the internet.
Dorothy, Zephyr need never know ...
That's really neat. I wish I could join you on your adventures.
BTW, I thought that dear's tail was on fire.
You guys are SO COOL!
Post a Comment