Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fourth of July 2008

This year for the 4th we took another trip to my nearest family members, Jim's house in Minneapolis. It's always wonderful to be at Jim's house. There is so much to see and do and to talk about. Some of the things not photographed during this trip include watching Harry Potter in the movie room, doing doughnuts on the lawn with the riding lawn mower, going through the Weisman contemporary art museum, and picking up two pieces of furniture and a bamboo plant at Ikea.


We attended the local fireworks show that turned out to have a live band and some really great fireworks. The funny thing about the 4th in Minneapolis is that it starts so late in the evening due to the very long summer days. Here JoLee, Sarah, and Charlotte get ready for the show.

Jim bought some fireworks for the home and let me light them off. As with any good pack of fireworks, it came with its fair share of Piccolo Pete's.

I love lighting things on fire. Perhaps Aaron, Brodie, and Toby can help me with a post of all the things we've burned over the years. Or maybe not...

Sarah plays the bassoon (and she's really good at it). Her bassoon teacher performed at this concert at a nearby lake in Minneapolis. Charlotte listens below.


There are free outdoor concerts every night at this pavilion. The atmosphere is very casual. Again, I kept waiting for the sun to go down on us, but instead it just lingered on the horizon even after we left.

JoLee snapped this picture of me hanging out in the camp chairs at the concert. I wish we had a picture of the fantastic ice cream we got.

Finally, their cat, Oliver, recently decided to take up residence in the grandson's baby crib. The funny thing is that he blends in nicely with all the stuffed animals. What I like most about Oliver is that he's very polite and very quiet, unlike some other cat I know.

6 comments:

THE CHASE FAMILY said...

I remember you scorching your arm with hairspray. Freaked me out. I'm glad to know that your love of fire still lives on.

Shannon said...

Hey guys, thanks for the updates! This looks like a fun fourth of July for you!

Paige said...

JoLee, does that cat picture remind you of any other cat pictures you've seen in your life? It looks rather familiar to me...

JoMamma said...

I see where Toby got the idea to start his dad's house on fire. Maybe it's best that the two of you are so far apart. I'll remember to keep a close eye on both of you when you are together.

Unknown said...

Whoa, wait a minute! I was no where near the Ken & Dean pad when the bottle rocket went over the house and lit the roof on fire. And for the record it wasn't my fault that Aaron flew into Brodie's burning plastic bag and scarred his hand. How do I get blamed for these things?

Jamie Jensen Hill said...

Awww I miss my family! Looks like you guys had a great time - They love having you guys visit!