Friday, February 26, 2010

Creatures of the Deep

On day two of our vacation we went to the fabulous Monterey Bay Aquarium.

We watched the sea otters play.

We admired the kelp forest.

We saw strange and wondrous sea anemone.
Nate especially liked the sardines
We learned that due to the cycling temperatures in the bay we are likely heading into an anchovy regime. When the temperatures in the bay are cooler the anchovy reigns supreme. When those temperatures are warmer the sardine is king.

We also saw the secretive seahorses and their cousins the seadragons.
The seahorse exhibit was pretty impressive. They had some teeny tiny seahorses smaller than this letter Q.

Oh, we love those jelly fish.
I took those jelly fish pictures. I didn't steal them off the internet. Pretty nifty huh?

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is pretty spectacular.

3 comments:

Abby Flores said...

look like such fun! And I love the curly hair!!!

Katie C said...

We are going out in June and planned on taking the kids to the aquarium. It looks like we need to visit Point Lobos too. Thanks for the ideas!

Stephen and Debbie said...

That place is awesome! I haven't been for so many years! We must go back sometime!