Thursday, August 05, 2010

Storm Troopin

Today is Toby's birthday. Who's Toby? He's the kid I grew up with. He's also the same guy who flew across three states and show up at my place of work dressed as a storm trooper. Now I know we all have good friends, but ask yourself when was the last time any of your friends showed up dressed as a storm trooper? That's what I thought.

Beckett was as shocked to see Toby as I was. You can't see it, but he liked pounding on his armor.

Here we are at my office. Did the Empire really give thumbs ups?

Toby was actually the perfect height and build for a storm trooper. Note to Toby: Remind wife that Toby is the perfect build for an intergalactic tough guy.

Toby was one of the judges for our ward's annual Golden Tongs BBQ. Storm Trooper Toby gave out the awards.

The kids went crazy.

The IT Ops team loved Toby's outfit. Justin, here, is wearing a Star Wars t-shirt with a storm trooper on it.

Meanwhile, Scott's desk had a picture of Luke, Han, and Chewy.

Dan thought it would be fun to pick a fight. (Not a good idea.)

Later that weekend we visited the Steamboat Arabia Museum, which has the largest collection of pre-civil war artifacts in the world. Toby was thrilled since it gave him lots of ideas for constructing his dream cabin. Toby wants to do it Grizzly Adams style with no electricity.

This is what Wal*Mart looked like 150 years ago.



Lastly, we visited the Liberty Jail and Independence. Toby started the weekend as a Storm Trooper and ended it as Superman. I think he's more of the latter than the former. As a father of 2.5 who owns his own start-up and can beat anyone I know at rock climbing, cycling, and flying a helicopter, Toby really is a super man. Happy Birthday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. Did your coworker just happen to wear a storm-trooper shirt that day? Hilarious. I love Toby stories.

JoMamma said...

This is Toby, actually. I am honored by your blog - truely.

"The Sunscreen Song", which incidentally was playing on the way back from the Moab trip where you introduced me to JoAnn says something like: "Understand that friends come and go, but for a precious few you should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young."

Miss you, man...

Stephen and Debbie said...

How funny! Toby is hilarious! Thanks for sharing this.

J said...

Happy B-day Toby. I love the friendship you guys have.