Tuesday, June 10, 2008

At the Zoo

After I got back from Arizona, Nate and I decided we needed to have some fun because he had just finished his first week at a new job and I had been away. So we went to the zoo. The Kansas City Zoo is really great if you want to see African animals or Australian animals. If you want to see North or South American animals you will have to go to some other zoo.

The African section of the zoo is like a mini safari. The animals have a lot of room to roam. Highlights in Africa included: 1) the week-old baby zebra, 2) the lions, and 3) the meerkats who all came over to say hello. We also saw this enormous African vulture. He has a 9 foot wing span.

Highlights in Australia included: 1) the soft-looking tree kangaroo, 2) the curious lorikeets, who explored our shoelaces and their food jug, and 3) the kangaroos. The kangaroo section of the Kansas City Zoo is pretty great because the kangaroos can roam throughout most of the Australian section of the zoo. Usually they just lounge around in the shade, but this kangaroo was hopping down the path like a tourist.




We also took a picture of this pig. We wanted to see if this pig was as photogenic as the pigs at the farm (pictured below). And, we decided that he does indeed take a mighty fine picture. We are starting to wonder if pigs are just naturally photogenic.



7 comments:

Rebecca said...

How fun! I LOVE the little black pig. He is definitely photogenic. The birds on your shoe are pretty fun too!

Katie said...

FUN!! All I ever remember about the KC zoo is how blooming hot it was EVERY SINGLE TIME WE WENT!! It was like when we walked to the African animals (SO FAR AWAY BTW), we really were doing a safari. Whew!
New job?! I missed something..fill me in!

Michelle Rossell said...

its so fun to see an update on what you're up to! i was afraid i'd see a little baby i had no idea about or something. not that its a bad thing to have a baby (wink wink):) looks like you 2 are enjoying it out there. we updated our blog after our trip to thailand. we just got back a week ago if you wanna check it out. miss you sister!!

Anonymous said...

Why does your trip to the Zoo look so much cooler than the many times I have been? You are just cool people!

Karen

S&J Jones Family said...

That looks like fun. I can't believe that I have not been to the zoo here yet. I need to go- with kids, and then without so that I can take as many pictures as I want to of the animals.

Shannon said...

You guys do so many fun things together. It's great!

Aaron said...

That kangaroo is awesome! I can't wait to see it the next time we come out.